Pete Smith's Reviews

[ TwangTownUSA D.J.'s Playlist Posting Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Pete Smith on June 20, 2005 at 07:50:02:

Pete Smith’s Reviews
“The Advertiser” (UK)– 17 June
Tracy Millar “You Go Girl” (Comstock).
Another great country singer from that land of the Maple leaf, Canada and one I am sure we will here a lot more from. From the first few lines of the opening dance number, “From The First Hello” to the closing bars of the last tear-jerking ballad “Heaven Soon” I thoroughly enjoyed this album. Tracy has the facility to switch from contemporary country dance numbers (“Talk, Talk, Talk”) to down-home foot tappers (“You Already Know”) to tender heart ballads (“I Can’t Hold The Wind”) with consummate ease. www.tracymillar.ca
Tricia Jo Cora “Maybe Someday” (Suede / Comstock).
This album contains 17 tracks and you know what? There are not enough for me. This young beauty from Montana has a real country voice which she uses to telling effect throughout. Tricia Jo also wrote 15 of the songs and co-wrote another with Bill Porta, who wrote the other two. There is a nice blend of dance tunes, such as “Done/ Through” and “You Got It Wrong”, and tender ballads, like “Here We Are” and “Change The Moment”. “Go Go Go” is a neat novelty number whilst “Paradise” is pure honky tonk. Love the final song, “Dad’s Request” – just the job for “Father’s Day”. www.comstockrecords.com
Dan Clews “The Good Mile” (Weird Eye).
Dan is a British artist who I had not heard of before. Possible because he is not really country. There is just the briefest hint of country on these nine originals but not enough to satisfy the real fan. That said, this is a really excellent album, one, if your tastes are eclectic, you should check out. “Pixie Poem” reminded me somewhat of Gilbert O’Sullivan whilst the use of mellow brass on “Nothing Is Perfect” and “Another Dose” is reminiscent of the great Peter Skellern. Mr. Clews is certainly a very talented guy. www.danclews.co.uk
Tom Lang “Roll Freightliner” (Fifth Wheel Records).
One would think by the title that this was an album of truckers’ ballads but that is not so. In fact it is a programme of varied country sounds performed by a rich, warm baritone. Of course the trucker is represented, by “Roll Freightliner” and “Old Blue” but there also a couple of two-steppers, “Chicken Pickin’ Guitar Man” and “Pickin’ Country”, a cute song about children, “Little One’s”, a tragic cowboy ballad, “Unforgiven” and a trio of Cajun flavoured numbers, “Cajun Fiddle Man”, “The Ballad Of Rogue River” and “Alligator Huntin’ Man”. An album to warm a country lover’s heart and therefore Album of the Week. www.tomlang.net

[ TwangTownUSA D.J.'s Playlist Posting Board ] [ FAQ ]